"Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life."

3 Nephi 5:13

Monday, December 16, 2013


Mom!

     The work is going really well.   We baptized a girl named J this week!  Unfortunately, it only took us six attempts before she was official--it was soooo stressful! We got to the chapel early so that we would have plenty of time to fill up the font. We had it completely filled an hour before the baptism, so we thought we were in pretty good shape.  Then right when the baptism was going to start, I went to check on the water again and someone had drained it!! We turned it on really fast, but by the time it was ready for her husband to baptize her, the water still wasn't very high.  J does not know how to swim and she also has a fear about going under water.   The first three times her husband tried to baptize her was a no go--her feet kept flying up. So, we filled the font up some more and all stood in an awkward silence for twenty minutes until the water level was a little higher.  Her husband then tried a couple more times and boom--she was finally baptized!!  Yesterday, she was confirmed and received the Holy Ghost!  Elder Smith and I were way pumped.  J is wayyyy smart; probably the smartest person that I’ve taught.   She also is an English teacher!!

       You asked me how they determine who is the senior companion.  Even though Elder Smith is leaving in a few weeks, I am still the senior ZL just because I have been zone leader the longest; although, with Elder Smith’s experience, it sure doesn’t seem that way! Elder Smith has been around some great missionaries, so I just sit back and learn from him. He has already helped Kuching a lot.  This week, the numbers were higher and almost everyone achieved their goals! I actually think that the numbers this last week were the highest that they have been all year!!  Being ZL does help me stay focused and not get too trunky, because I have a lot of things that I have to stay on top of.  My last two companions have been finishing their missions, so that makes it hard for me to not think about home.  But, I have six months before I leave and six months is as long as I have been in Kuching--and that didn’t seem that long!

     Today was really fun.   We went to a member's kampung and got durian! Do you remember durian?  (“Durians smell like road kill wrapped in sweaty socks and have the texture of rotten bananas.” – Gadling.com)  It’s for real the best fruit in the world!!   
    
     I am still wondering how I am going to send everything home!??  I have a 4-foot Iban blowgun, a 4-foot hand crafted Iban shield and I recently ordered a sword with a handle made out of bone.  (Can’t you just envision him getting on the airplane with all that paraphernalia?? - Martha)

     I love you momma and don’t worry about me, I am loving life!
Elder Madsen

No comments:

Post a Comment